Saturday, July 02, 2011

John Lewis bucks the trend again: Sales up 20% as rest of High Street struggles | Mail Online

John Lewis bucks the trend again: Sales up 20% as rest of High Street struggles | Mail Online

I can't ever remember ever going in to a John Lewis shop, never mind buying anything from there, until recently. Two years ago, only two years ago, I bought a 42 inch TV. It stopped working properly, switching off and on as it pleased!!! It cost me £600. I put it in for repair and they said that it would cost more than a new one, to fix. it. I got quite mad about that.
I knew that the Sale of Goods Act, in the Uk, meant that an item must be fit for purpose and work for a reasonable length of time. That time length is one year and may be extended under special circumstances laid down by a Judge. Okay, there has to be a time limit. I did not buy a guarantee, as the price was almost as much as the TV cost me. It was fairly obvious that the number of claims was very high and the price reflected this. I read that, under E U law an item should last for SIX years and be replaced if it fails within the time. I would have needed 20 lawyers to try and make that sort of claim. So I said, sod it.
I got on the Internet for price comparisons. Google buy is pretty good for that and saves trolling round from site to site and ploughing through the blurb. I looked at re conditioned TV's which were going for half price. They, however, seem to be out with the Law, as they are second hand, not new and only offered a six months guarantee. So it all came down to price.
John Lewis looked good on price and delivery, so I had a look. Surprise, surprise, they would give me a FIVE year guarantee for the 42 inch replacement, that I wanted. I had the cards out of the wallet, so fast, there was a sonic boom!!! It was about £100 cheaper than the one I bought, two years ago at £500. So over five years it works out at £2 per week to view all of these repeats!! I also use it as a computer monitor so get a double use bonus. All I can say is that it looks like the EU stuff is right, otherwise why give away a guarantee which they don't need to, or am I being cynical? Whatever, I am a happy bunny!!!

No comments:

(1) Walmart Employees EXPOSED For Falsely Accusing Shoppers Of Theft - YouTube

(1) Walmart Employees EXPOSED For Falsely Accusing Shoppers Of Theft - YouTube