Friday, August 26, 2011

Just how prepared are you?

The fact that a huge metropolis like New York is going to be in for a hard time has had me thinking, over the past few days, about just how prepared I am for any severe flooding or power outage.
I use propane gas for heating in portable heaters. These give off a great heat and you have no bills to pay as you pay per bottle delivered.They also give out light. Should the power go off I have a cooker ring attachment which will work with gas, which could be very handy, indeed. To save using gas, I ordered two dozen candles the other night and they were delivered this morning.
I have a sleeping bag and four duvets in cupboards, so I could be warm enough and save gas. I have a big plastic barrel which could collect rain water should that become a problem due to lack of pumps and/or treatment of the supply over a length of time. As I live on top of a hill, I have shelter from flooding. I have heat and light and water.I have loads of batteries in various remote controls which would power a battery radio, for news.I have, shall I just say, means of defence, should the problems go on for a while!!
So to food.If power goes on and off for periods of the day then I am quids in. I have a chest freezer and a fridge/freezer full of stuff. If power goes off for more than a straight 24 hours, then the food is going to be thawed out. I could fill the bath with ice cubes, which you can now have delivered. That might help to preserve some of it.
Onward to the cupboards. Plenty of tins of soup, beans, peas, carrots, corn beef, spam and sausages. Why the last one, who knows? So I intend getting hold of a big bag of rice, this weekend and some more curry powder. You can curry anything !!! If power ever does go out, then I could be in trouble, but boiled or fried rice will keep a person going, along with the tins. Need to sort this food angle out a bit more.
I don't think that Scotland will ever suffer too badly, due to a natural disaster, unless America's New Madrid fault goes and the nuclear stations, built on it, melt down. Then a tsunami could cause the West Coast islands, in particular, a lot of problems.The islands should slow it down and break it up a bit before it would hit the mainland. I am 30 miles inland, on top of a hill, so I would take my chances.
Just have a look round your own place, this weekend and see how you would cope.

No comments:

(1) Walmart Employees EXPOSED For Falsely Accusing Shoppers Of Theft - YouTube

(1) Walmart Employees EXPOSED For Falsely Accusing Shoppers Of Theft - YouTube