Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Living with my computer.


I am disabled and housebound. In fact, I have not been out of my flat for four and a half years. Without a computer and the Internet it would be pretty much impossible for me to be independent. I would need a load of agency helpers at £15 an hour. So here is how I live on the Internet.................
I choose all of my food at Tesco and it is delivered to me at a time to suit me. I can pay by debit or credit card as I choose. I have two home shopping catalogue accounts and just ordered towels and curtains from one, yesterday. I got a message on my I phone,this morning, giving me the job number. So I went to the courier web site,inserted the number and I was told that it would be delivered, today. Now that is damn good!!  No hassles. I can now pay over 20 weeks via my bank.
All of my banking is done via the Internet My income comes in and my standing orders go out. I just paid my credit card. No running to the bank in all types of weather or waiting in queues. I can do things 24 hours a day,even on holidays.  Petty cash is the obvious problem. I have that sorted by transferring some money to a friend who collects it from his account. This gets me round the bank's insistence that I do not give my debit card to a third party.
My only big item which I pay cash for is my propane gas bottles. My supplier will not accept cards. I suppose that he does not like the handling charges and other costs involved. He could be right as these costs will have to be passed on. Perhaps he gets more business by being slightly cheaper or makes more profit by not getting involved. I can get Chinese or Indian meals delivered,should I fancy one and pay by card. The Scottish fish supper is still a cash only from my preferred shop. But they do deliver.
I can download any TV programs from terrestrial and from cable, to watch whenever I wish. I don't bother recording them, as I can't be bothered setting the timers.  My electricity is paid in advance via a pre pay meter. When my friend visits he can get a top up as required. Each top up has a fee.I have discovered that I can keep the flash drive out of the meter and top up the drive. That way, I can put in £40 lots which is only one fee as it is one action.
There is very little,as you can see, that I must pay in cash and without the internet and a computer, things would be extremely difficult indeed.

No comments:

(1) Walmart Employees EXPOSED For Falsely Accusing Shoppers Of Theft - YouTube

(1) Walmart Employees EXPOSED For Falsely Accusing Shoppers Of Theft - YouTube